Town of TaberHome Menu
Your Chance to Stand Out in a Crowd
We have an opening for you if you are interested in helping people in their most trying and vulnerable times. We provide all the training you need to safely do what is needed. In return, we ask that you commit to using your skills when called upon. If successful, you will be joining a group of people who work irregular hours for average pay and love it. For more information, please see our Volunteer Package, or see the information below.
Duties & Responsibilities
Firefighting is a high risk occupation. The work environment can be hostile and unpredictable. The work itself can be strenuous and stressful. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting EMS with patient care to those injured by fire or accidents
- Attend trainings and calls
- Be able to take instruction and function within a hierarchical organization
- Controlling and extinguishing different types of fires
- Function as a member of a team
- Operating and maintaining fire apparatus
- Operating and maintaining specialized fire apparatus
- Participate in required courses
- Perform various rescue activities using ropes, powered equipment, and hand tools
- Positioning and climbing ladders
- Other duties as required by the fire chief
Volunteer firefighters must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be eligible for employment in Canada
- Be physically fit
- Have a trades background (preferred)
- Have a valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Possess ability to provide a clean police information check
Note: This is a volunteer position with remuneration. Required courses, approved expenses, and fire call outs are compensated by the Town of Taber.
Submitting Your Application
The Taber Fire Department has three options for applying to be a Volunteer Firefighter:
- Download our Taber Fire Department Volunteer Package.
- Apply quickly and easily with our new (mobile-friendly) online application!
- Pick up a Volunteer Package at the William Ferguson Emergency Services Building (Taber Fire Hall)
For further information regarding this position, please contact the Taber Fire Department at 403-223-6010, or email.