The Permits

Development permit – is a document issued by a Development Authority that authorises the construction of a development, and includes the plans and applicable conditions of approval. The approval process guides ‘what’ goes ‘where’ on a property. A number of things don’t require a permit but must still meet Land Use Bylaw requirements for things such as setbacks from property lines, height restrictions, visibility, site coverage, and even what kind of development can take place on the property.

Types of Development Permits What Type of Development Requires this Permit?
Residential Development Permit
  • Construction of anything requiring a waiver, or anything over your head (ex: garage, house, pergola, covered deck, etc.)
Commercial / Industrial / Public & Institutional Development Permit
  • Change of Use / intensity
  • Anything requiring a waiver
  • All new buildings, new accessory uses (anything with a roof)
Sign Development Permit 
  • All Signs
  • All Portable Sign Renewals
Home Occupation Development Permit
  • All Home Occupations
Demolition Development Permit
  • All demolitions

Driveway Development Permit

  • To widen, create, or remove a driveway


Required with the development permit, you will always need to attach a site plan. Showing on the site plan you should include:

  • Name and Address
  • north arrow
  • lot dimensions and area
  • proposed and existing access
  • location and dimensions of off-street parking
  • any drainage course and water bodies
  • proposed and existing fencing and landscaping
  • any easements and utility right-of-ways
  • setbacks from property lines to all buildings existing and proposed
  • setbacks from primary building to proposed building
  • decks, hot tubs, gazebos, etc.

Note: picture below is an example of a site plan.

Example of a site plan

Building Permit - A building permit is a document issued by the Safety Codes Officer (Building Inspector) that authorises construction. Building inspection is a legal requirement of the Safety Codes Act, ensuring that the construction meets the requirements of the Alberta Building Code and is as per the specifications outlined in the Building Permit Application.

With building permits, please submit appropriate design plans and specifications for your build. Also be sure to fill out the energy code forms to go with the building permit. There are two energy code compliance forms, one for residential energy code compliance following section 9.36 of the Alberta Building Code and a non- residential energy code compliance form that follows the National Energy Code.


The Fees

Development Permit fees – Are all listed in the Taber Fee Bylaw

Building Permit Fees - Fees are as follows.

Building or replacing a fence?
Building a new decks or patio?
Building or moving on an accessory building?
Building a house? or doing renovations?
Building a commercial or industrial building?
Demolishing a house, shed, garage?
What is a Change of Use?

Other Applications


Other Types of Applicaitons For what Projects

Application for Appeal

Appealing a development decision

Request for Extension Form

Requesting an extension for development permit or subdivision application
Request for Amendment Form When you need to rezone a parcel of land


Certificates and Letters
The Inspections

 Call Before You Dig

Always call Alberta One Call before you dig: 1-800-242-3447. For more information or to submit a locate request, visit Alberta One-Call.

Disclaimer: This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The Town of Taber accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.