Building a new home?
To build a new home you will require the three permits below as well as construction plans for the home, and a site plan of where the home is situated on the property.
Renovating your home?
If you are doing cosmetic upgrades to your home, you do NOT require a permit. You do require a permit if you are removing/installing walls, replacing windows, fixing/replacing floor joists, cutting through any walls, or anything structural.
Building a Garage?
All garages will require the building permit application, development permit application, and site plan submittal. The two cheat sheets that help you when applying for a garage (if you don't have construction plans) are the garage details and the accessory building form). Please note that according to the Land Use Bylaw 14-2016 a carport is considered a garage.
- Building Permit
- Residential Development Permit
- Residential Energy Code (if garage is heated)
- Garage Details
- Accessory Building
Building a deck?
Typically a permit is not required if the deck is no higher than 2.0m above grade point. All decks that have a roof do require development and building permit applications.
- Development Permit (if over 10m2 and 2' off the ground)
- Building Permit (if over 10m2)
- Deck Cheat Sheet
Demolishing a building?
Building a commercial/industrial / institutional building?
- Commercial / Industrial / Institutional Development Permit
- Building Permit
- Non Residential Energy Code
Widening your driveway or landscaping your boulevard?
Applying for a sign?
Applying for a Business License?
- Resident Business License (if business location is in Taber)
- Non-Resident Business License (if business location is outside Taber)
- Home Occupation Development Permit
- Alberta Government Permit Requirement Guide
- Door-to-Door Sales / Peddlers Information
- Health Standards for Personal Services: AB Government
- Starting a Business: Alberta Guide
Looking to have a compliance certificate done?
Doing a subdivision?
Looking to appeal a decision?
Requesting an Extension?