Taber has a bylaw in place for the licensing and control of dogs. All dogs over 6 months of age are required to be licensed.
The owner of every dog shall obtain a license when they become the owner of the dog, or the dog has attained the age of six (6) months. Every license expires upon the death of the dog or when ownership of the dog transfers to another person.
The only dogs that require special licensing are dogs that are deemed “aggressive” by a bylaw officer (if they have attacked or bitten a person, etc.). Please contact the Town Office or the Bylaw Enforcement Officer for those particulars.
Dog Licensing Fees (as per Dog Control Bylaw)
- Any dog that is altered: $50 (one-time fee for the lifetime of the dog)
- Any dog that is not altered: $100 (one-time fee for the lifetime of the dog)
- Assistance Dogs: Free
- Dog owned, kept, maintained, or harbored by a Law Enforcement Officer or Peace Officer: Free
- Dog Fanciers License (in addition to regular license fee per dog): $20 yearly
- Aggressive Dog License: $200 yearly
*If you purchased a license in 2021, the license is considered grandfathered for the lifetime of the dog.
- Replacement tags are $10 each time it is required.
Purchasing and Other Questions
Licenses can be purchased at the Town of Taber Administration Building.
For information on Bylaw enforcement contact the Taber Police Service at 403-223-8991.
See: Exotic Animals Bylaw
FAQs about Chickens and Beekeeping
Please note that the Town of Taber does not currently allow for urban hens/chickens or urban beekeeping for residents. Please see the Exotic Animals Bylaw for more information.