Assessment and Property Taxes
This page gives you information about the Town of Taber Assessments and Property Taxes.
Notice of Mailing Property Tax & Assessment
Tax notices have been mailed as of May 28th, 2021. Taxes are due June 30th, 2021.
If you have not received your notice in the mail by the middle of June, please contact the Taxation & Assessment Clerk at, 403-223-5500 ext. 5553 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year, Council establishes a Rate of Taxation, based on assessed values, sufficient to pay for those expenditures that are not recovered from other revenue sources.
The Finance Department is responsible for the maintenance of over 3, 000 different parcels within the Town boundaries.
Other tax information is also available here:
- Government of Alberta Website: Property Assessment and Taxation Information
- Alberta Health Website: Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program
The Town of Taber's assessments are completed by Benchmark Assessment Consultants Inc., prior to December 31 of the year, prior to the date of the current Tax Notice.
For information regarding assessments you can contact:
Benchmark Assessment Consultants Inc.
#4, 320 WT Hill Blvd.
Lethbridge, AB T1J 4W9
Phone: (403) 381-0535 Fax: (403) 381-1596
Or visit the Benchmark Assessment Consultants Inc. Website.
Or check Online Assessment Summary Reports
In order to be fair to all tax payers in the Town, supplementary taxes are also levied against those properties for improvements that are:
- Completed or begin to operate in the current year;
- Occupied during all or any part of the current year; or
- Moved into the Town of Taber during the current year and not taxed in that current year by another municipality.
Supplementary taxes are calculated by multiplying the appropriate tax rate to the difference in value from the original tax notice and the final value when completed and prorated by the number of months remaining in the year from the date determined by A, B, and C above.
- Work completed August 31
- Original Tax Notice Assessment Value = $100,000
- Completed Assessment Value = $250,000
- Assessed Value of improvement = $150,000
- Supplementary Assessment
- Assessed Value X (# of months left in the calendar year) / 12 x "Mill Rate" = Tax Levy
- $150,000 x 4/12 x 9.8664 = $369.99
If you believe your assessment is not fair in relation to similar properties or if you suspect an error, contact the Assessment Agent listed on your Tax Notice. You may file a complaint to be heard by the Assessment Review Board. Complaint forms are available at the Town of Taber Administration Office or access online here. Complaint forms must be in before the final date of complaint shown on your Tax Notice. Send the filled out form to:
c/o Town of Taber
A-4900 50 Street
Taber, AB T1G 1T1
Accompanying a complaint form must be the correct fee as set out below:
Property Assessment Appeals
|Assessment Range/Type||Fee Per Property|
|Properties with a residential Mill Rate||$20.00|
|All other properties:|
|$0.00 - $249,999.00||$75.00|
|$250,000 - $999,999.00||$150.00|
If the Assessment Review Board makes a decision in favour of the complainant, the fee will be refunded.
An assessed person is entitled to see or receive sufficient information about the person's property in accordance with section 299 of the Act or a summary of an assessment in accordance with section 300 of the Act, or both.
An appeal against your assessment property value does not exempt you from paying taxes on time or from late payment penalties.
Property Tax Payment Information
Payments will be accepted at any time (subject to penalties). All cheques must be made payable to the Town of Taber. Cheques are conditional payment until the cheque is honoured. Penalties will apply for any dishonoured payments. Payments rendered with any conditions attached will not be accepted. All payments will be applied first to arrears of taxes and secondly to current taxes.
For your convenience the Town of Taber Administration Office is open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM - Monday to Friday.
- Payments may be made in person at A-4900 50 Street, Taber, AB T1G 1T1, by mail or through the after-hours "drop box" located outside the main entrance.
- Payments accepted at participating Chartered Banks, Credit Unions, or Alberta Treasury Branches in person, by Internet Banking or Telephone Banking and through Automated Banking Machines.
- Post-dated cheques dated on or before the June 30 due date.
- Preauthorized payment plan.
- Online credit card payment (more information here)
Preauthorized Payment Plan
Property owners have the ability to enter into an agreement with the Town of Taber to pay property taxes through monthly installments. These monthly installments are debited from the applicants Financial Institution on the last working day of each month. This plan allows property owners to apply into the program at any time during the year as long as there are no tax arrears and/or have not had more than two NSF's in the last two years.
Property Tax Exemption
If your non-profit organization is the owner of a property, or the holder of a property under a lease, license or permit, and if the property is primarily used for the purpose of the organization, your organization may qualify for a property tax exemption.
Applying for Property Tax Exemption
To qualify for property tax exemption, a completed application form along with full supporting information is to be submitted by the non-profit organization in the year preceding the taxation year. Once completed, the application will be reviewed and considered for tax exemption according to Section 362 (n)(I) to (v) of the Municipal Government Act and the Community Organization Property Tax Exemption Regulation A/R 281/98 as amended. If it meets the requirements, the property, or a portion thereof, will be exempt from paying property taxes the next taxation year.
Your non-profit organization may qualify for property tax exemption only if it:
- Owns property, or holds property under a lease, license, or permit.
- Is incorporated under the Society Act, or an entity established under a federal law or law of Alberta.
- Uses the funds chiefly for the purposes of the organization and not for the benefit of the organization's directors and employees;
- Does not restrict the use of the property within the terms and meaning outlined in the regulation.
Submitting Your Application
To receive such a property tax exemption, a qualifying non-profit organization is required to submit a completed application with full supporting information to the address below for consideration to the Town of Taber.
Town of Taber
Property Tax Clerk
A-4900 50 Street
Taber, AB T1G 1T1
Please submit the application form that corresponds to your non-profit organization. If the following are not applicable please submit the general application form.
- Arts or Museum
- Care and Supervision of Children
- Chamber of Commerce
- Community Association
- Ethno-Cultural Organization
- Fairs and Exhibitions
- Sheltered Workshop/ Thrift Shop
- Sports or Recreation
- Non-Profit Organization
Property Tax School Declaration
- View information on the Property Tax School Declaration Forms