Cannabis Retail Business in Taber
A Cannabis retail store is considered a discretionary use in our Downtown Commercial (DT), Comprehensive Commercial District (CC) and Direct Control District (DC-2).
Step 1: Find your location - As per the Land Use Bylaw, the location cannot be within 100m of a school or the hospital. To obtain a map of the Town of Taber indicating locations of schools and the hospital or for more information please contact Ben Young at email@example.com or 403-223-5500 ext. 5514. Please note: While the Town is able to provide applicants with information as to the location of schools and hospitals, it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their location is outside of the 100m and be able to provide that information with the application.
Step 2: Apply for your Development Permit through the Taber Planning Department. This process will require:
- Submission of a Site plan
- Completion of a building inspection (if no renovations a being conducted)
- Completion of a Fire Inspection
* Once the Planning Department deems the application complete, the application will be submitted to the Municipal Planning Commission for approval, followed by a 21 day appeal period where neighbors within 100m will be notified, and the development with be advertised in the Taber Times.
Step 3: Get AGLC Approval *Note - you can begin completing this paperwork while applying for a Development Permit, however you will require Town of Taber approval prior to AGLC consideration.
Step 4: Apply for a Building Permit Application (if renovations are being conducted)
Step 5: Apply for a Cannabis Related Use Business License. You will be required to:
- Have a signed development permit
- Have a completed building permit
- Submit proof of the Provincial Retail Cannabis License from AGLC.
If you have any questions please contact our Economic Development Office at 403-223-5500 ext.6009