Come Grow in Taber!Following legalization of cannabis in Canada in 2018 there is now a huge opportunity for businesses involved in the cultivation of cannabis to supply the recreational and medicinal cannabis market across the country. The Town of Taber has the regulatory framework and ideal conditions to facilitate and encourage businesses ranging from large-scale production to micro-cultivation. Continue reading below to understand the requirements and why Taber is perfect place to Grow!
Cannabis Production and Distribution means the development is used principally for one or more of the following activities as it relates to cannabis;
- The production, cultivation, and growth of cannabis,
- The processing of raw materials;
- The making, testing, manufacturing, assembling or in any way altering the chemical or physical properties if semi-finished or finished goods or products,
- The storage or transshipping of materials, goods, and products; or
- The distribution and sale of materials, goods, and products to cannabis retail sales stores or individual customers.
- Cannabis production and processing is a permitted use in Taber's Medium Industrial District (M-2). You can check the Taber Zoning Map or contact the Planning & Development office to determine where the M2 Districts are. As a permitted use, a business wanting to engage in cannabis production and/or processing would need to apply for a Development Permit through the Taber Planning Department. This development permit application would not go to Council or Municipal Planning Commission for approval (provided the proposed location is within an M2 zone) saving your business time, money, and the hassle of long approval processes you may experience in other municipalities.
- We have created a streamlined development permit approval process for cannabis production and processing so that your business faces the least amount of “red tape” and you can get to work!
- The permitted use designation is for all cannabis production and processing activities, including CBD extraction.
- Under the Federal Cannabis Act, all producers of cannabis or cannabis products will need to be federally licenses to operate. You can find the Cannabis industry guidelines and requirements here.
- A Building Permit Application would be required for any construction/renovations of the facility.
- A Cannabis Business License Application would also be required.
Timelines and Fees
- Development permit: Development permit timelines vary based on the complexity, but reviews will be completed within 21 days of application, provided all necessary documentation is submitted.
- Building permit: Building Permits within the Town of Taber are processed by Superior Safety Codes and will typically be provided within 21 days of application depending on complexity and provided all necessary documentation is submitted.
- Business License: Within 14 days of final inspection
- Development Permit: $200-$1000. Cost will vary depending on size of the development. See our Fee Bylaw Page 7 for details.
- Building Permit: 6$ per $1000 of calculated construction value, minimum $100.
- Water - Cannabis production can require a lot of water and Taber has all the water you’ll need! With extensive irrigation systems in the region and the Town’s existing water right agreements we can meet the high demands for water in our Eureka Industrial Park
- Land – The Eureka Industrial Park has 100+ acres of fully serviced industrial land ready for development now and we can custom size a lot to fit your exact needs. Taber’s industrial land is competitively priced with the ability to negotiate the sale price directly with the Town.
- Sunlight – You won’t find more sunlight almost anywhere in Canada! The region boasts some of the highest heat units/day in Canada, so it’s perfect for greenhouses filled with cannabis plants.
- Workforce – Taber is an industrial-agriculture based town. Agriculture and Oil & Gas are the backbones of our economy and as such, the workforce here is skilled, young, and talented. You can find out more about the workforce in Taber on Taber's Townfolio profile.